Managing our environmental impact is a key focus for UBM and we have made good progress:
- 15% reduction in global offices' emissions per employee since 2010 (exceeding the targeted 10% by 2016).
- We became a leader in climate disclosure for the industry as the only events-based business to be included in the CDP FTSE 350 Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI), scoring 100 - the maximum number of points available.
- We joined the CDP 'Commit to Action' programme ahead of the UN climate change conference COP 21 in Paris.
- We received CDP awards for ‘Biggest Emissions Reduction (relative)’ and we set a ‘Science Based Targets (SBT)’ to reduce emissions from events and offices by 11.4% per square metre by 2020 in order to reduce global warming.
- The new London office achieved LEED Platinum certification - the highest level of certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. Industry leading energy efficiencies has meant that energy usage in the new building has been reduced by 50%, saving over £0.1m per annum.
- Global event emissions calculations were carried out for the third year. UBM continues to be the only global event's organiser to monitor the carbon footprint of its events.
- We continue to focus on achieving certification for our events across the globe.
You can read our Environmental policy.
Utilities data from UBM offices has been recorded over the last 5 years. We are now also reporting on energy usage and waste from our events.
|Energy usage||95% of offices
91% of events
|14,289 MWh||11,935 MWh||9,868 MWh
|Waste to landfill||40% of offices
84% of events
|23.7 tonnes||15.7 tonnes||16.3 tonnes
Please refer to page 85 of the 2015 Annual Report for calculation and methodology
For each new UBM office, energy 'smart meters' are installed wherever possible. These meters measure UBM's energy usage on a real-time basis, enabling accurate monitoring and therefore management of usage. Monthly energy reduction league tables keep facilities and sustainability teams aware of the office's position in the league and the associated cost savings.
This technology, reporting and regular communication has enabled us to consistently reduce energy usage at our offices over the last three years.
We also measure our carbon footprint.